Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I've Got The Straight Edge

6 years later and I am still here. I have come from being almost completely isolated to having more Straight Edge friends than I know what to do with. 6 years ago people thought we were going through a phase and we would be 'normal' eventually. My parents still don't completely understand why I do this or what it means. I have had people come into my college dorm and look at me like some caged animal because I am the 'weird' kid who refuses to drink. I have been disrespected. I have been told I am close minded and a pretentious asshole. All because I am Straight Edge. Because I give myself that label and take pride in it. Because I hold myself to a higher standard. Because I have been open with my views on how I feel about drinking and drugs. Because I have literally fought for Straight Edge. It makes me the bad guy. I am guilty of saying that I am better than people who are not Straight Edge. Can you blame me? I have a set of convictions that I have followed everyday for the past 6 years and will continue to follow until I die. Can you say that?
I am still here.
I will always be here.
And I am STILL better than you
Nothing has changed.

This blog isn't going anywhere other than the fact that in a couple days I will be 21 and I can continue to be a 'freak' for not drinking. And I wouldn't want it any other way!

3 comments:

  1. Not to sound parent-y
    but i'm proud.
    It's rare to find someone to stick to their word ya knowwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, you'll stick to your word for like another few months and then I'll see you at Copper COin eating wings and drinkin beer.

    not to sound parent-y! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. whitey, i love you. i love you for opening my eyes to such a beautiful thing. i'm so glad to know that when most of my friends are saying yes to drinking, and not understanding why i say no, you understand. its been two years since i decided to be straight edge, and i can say with 100% honesty, that it has been the greatest two years of my life. saying thank you isn't enough.

    ReplyDelete